Broadstairs - a Brief History
Page 2 of 2
|The York Gate
Pictured right - situated in Harbour Street.
Originally known as Flint Gate, it was later renamed in honour of the Grand Old Duke of York.
Built by George Culmer in 1540 and restored by Sir John Henniker in 1795 (later to become Lord Henniker).
Originally, the structure housed a portcullis and heavy-duty wooden gates as a defence against raiders from the sea.
|St. Mary's Chapel
Pictured right - situated in Albion Street, near to the junction with Harbour Street.
This Chapel stands on the site once occupied by the famous shrine of "Our Lady of Bradstowe".
shrine, which attracted pilgrims from afar, is known to have dated back
to the 11th century and possibly even earlier but not necessarily on
this exact spot.
Parts of this building are of 13th century origin, the date on the plaque, 1601, refers to its restoration.
Dickens House Museum
Pictured below, left - situated at No. 2 Victoria Parade.
Charles Dickens' time, this was the home of Mary Pearson Strong upon
whom he based the character of Betsy Trotwood in David Copperfield.
Mary died on January 14th 1855, aged 84, today her former home is a museum housing many artefacts associated with the author.
Pictured below, right - a close-up of the wall plaque - "In this
house lived the original of Betsey Trotwood in David Copperfield by
Charles Dickens. 1849".
|The Jubilee Clock Tower
Pictured right - standing on a section of cliff known as Preachers' Knoll.
Originally built to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897.
In the mid 1970's it burnt down but was rebuilt to mark the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II in 1977.
Louisa Bay (also known as Louisa Gap)
This is situated next to Viking Bay, towards Ramsgate.
below, left - this plaque commemorates a former bridge built by Thomas
Crampton, the famous engineer, who was also responsible for Crampton
This bay is believed to have taken its name from Louisa Crampton, the second daughter of said engineer.
right - wall plaque situated above the shop-front, next-door to Iceland
in the High Street - "Charles Dickens lived here and wrote part of
Pickwick Papers. 1837".
Pictured below, left - situated next to the High Street.
Built in c1790 and later used as a holiday home by the future Queen, Princess Victoria.
Today, it is the home of Broadstairs and St. Peter's Town Council.
The name Pierremont derives from the French for St. Peter's Mount.
Pictured below, right - a rear view of Pierremont Hall, its grounds are now a public park.
Pictured right - situated next to Broadstairs' railway station.
in 1859 by the famous, Broadstairs' born, Victorian engineer Thomas
Crampton who formed the Broadstairs Water Company in order to provide
residents with good quality water.
Today the structure is the Crampton Tower Museum, a building at the rear houses the Broadstairs' Stagecoach.
Pictured extreme right - a rear view of Crampton Tower.
Crampton Tower Museum Website
The Official Broadstairs Website
<< Page 1