Written by Bob.
Photo - Bob.
Situated on the North Kent coast between the seaside towns of Birchington and Herne Bay.
|Reculver Towers sit
on the site of a Roman fort which guarded one end of the Wantsum
Channel. This body of water, which has long since silted up, once
separated the Isle of Thanet from mainland Kent.
The fort was
built in around 210 AD and apparently during archaeological
explorations numerous child skeletons were found under the foundations
of a former building.
The first religious buildings on the site
probably date to 670 AD and were built by a priest known as Bassa after
he was given the land by the King of Kent.
These buildings survived for three hundred years only to be destroyed by the Vikings.
These towers are also known as "The Two Sisters" after two nuns from the Faversham Abbey.
the Abbess, had just recovered from a serious illness, and accompanied
by Isabella, they set off on a pilgrimage, by boat, to the shrine at
Broadstairs. Off the coast of Reculver they became grounded on a
sand-bank, Isabella died from exposure but Frances survived.
In memory of her sister, Frances had the church restored and had a wooden spire added to each stone tower.
Towers are what remain of the medieval church of St. Mary's, the bulk
of the church was demolished in 1809 and moved to Hillborough when it
became threatened by coastal erosion.
The towers were taken over
by Trinity House in 1910 as they represented an important navigation
aid to shipping, coastal protection work now assures their survival.
paranormal activity includes the sounds of crying children and of
galloping horses, there have also been sightings of a woman and of a
Previous paranormal investigations have captured EVPs in both towers.
shoreline at Reculver was used during WWII to test the famous "Bouncing
Bombs" and during the 17th and 18th centuries was a favoured landing
spot for smugglers, one such notable incident is recorded below:
Puryour, a.k.a. Blacktooth, was arrested at Reculver on March 30th,
1747 for being a member of an armed group assembled for the purpose of
smuggling. He subsequently appeared at the Old Bailey, was found guilty
and executed at Tyburn on November 16th, 1747.